Friday, December 18, 2009

Out of the mouths of babes (or toddlers)

My mom came up Wednesday night to celebrate Paige's birthday with us, and she brought my sweet, rowdy, picky little nephew with her. I cooked dinner for us, with his pickiness in mind, and attempted to make something he would eat. I was so excited to finally come up with a great kid friendly meal...I made him a grilled cheese (since he wouldn't eat the chicken I made...or the green beans...or the rice), so I opened up some of the blue box thinking he'd love his cheese filled supper--and only be slightly constipated from all the cheese. Besides, what kid doesn't like mac and cheese??? Obviously, Zayne!! He politely informed me with a grin on his face, that he didn't like mac and cheese! So, being the awesome example I am, I called him a goofball. Well, he thought it was so funny he laughed his biggest laugh and smiled his goofiest smile EVER!! I guess he'd never heard the word "goofball"!

I tried to get him to tell my mom what I called him, and he wouldn't repeat it at first. He did the same thing with Michael and Paige. Now, Zayne isn't ever shy around me, so I was having a hard time figuring out why he was acting weird, and making me whisper the word in his ear before he said it.

Well, here's why: yesterday evening at his home, he called my step-dad a "do-do ball"! Oh my! Yes, I'm teaching my nephew to have the finest vocabulary of any 3 year old! Leave it to Aunt Jody Gruff...

No comments:

Post a Comment